ESSEX-UK-L Archives

Archiver > ESSEX-UK > 2007-11 > 1194260759

From: "Caroline Bradford" <>
Subject: Re: [Ess] 1871 census
Date: Mon, 5 Nov 2007 11:05:59 -0000

Dear Pat

Yes, this does happen from time to time. The instructions to householders
on the census form were quite clear - that the form should list those who
were living in the household at midnight on 2/3 April 1871 (i.e. Sunday
night/Monday morning). But not every householder read the instructions as
carefully as they might ('twas ever thus!) and people who were visiting
friends or family over the weekend sometimes got put down twice. It happened
in my family with a married woman who was a live in servant in another
household. Her employer listed her, presumably because he assumed that she
had been under his roof, but so did her husband - she had probably stayed at
home for the night and slipped back to work before her absence was noted.

Unfortunately, it is logical that at least as many people were missed off
the census, for the same reason.

Best wishes

Caroline