ESSEX-UK-L Archives

Archiver > ESSEX-UK > 2007-10 > 1191593491

From: Ruth Aylett <>
Subject: Re: [Ess] Brothers/Cousins
Date: Fri, 5 Oct 2007 15:14:47 +0100

Tony,

In the 17thC it was very common to refer to the siblings of one's
husband/wife as well as the husband/wife of one's siblings as brother/
sister. In this period 'brother-in-law' and 'sister-in-law' were used
for what we would now call half-brothers and sisters. In the same
way, father-in-law and mother--in-law referred to step-parents and
the parents of one's husband/wife were just mother/father. The term
'natural brother' was sometimes used for people we would call
brothers now.

I have examples of people using 'cousin' for all sorts of
relationships in that period, some very distant in blood terms, some
what might otherwise be nephews or nieces, as well as some that we'd
think of as cousins now. It seems interchangeable with kinsman and
kinswoman in some documents. I have not however seen it used for
brothers or sisters.

Ruth
---