ESSEX-UK-L Archives

Archiver > ESSEX-UK > 2007-08 > 1188211952

From: Steve <>
Subject: Re: [Ess] suckling
Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2007 11:52:41 +0100

Hi Lauren

There are 2 villages called Notley, Black Notley and White Notley, both just to the south of Braintree and both in the Braintree registration district.

If there is no father on the birth certificate then your chances of finding him are very, very slim, probably only if the vicar made a comment in the parish register which I have seen once in Northumberland and once in Cornwall. But that may be only his suspicions and should not be taken as fact.

Child support is a very recent concept, possibly from the 1950s or 60s, before that it would be up to the mother's family to support her and her baby, or the work house or sometimes mental institutions.

HTH
Steve