ESSEX-UK-L Archives

Archiver > ESSEX-UK > 2007-06 > 1182615959

From: "Caroline Bradford" <>
Subject: Re: [Ess] Census Oddity
Date: Sat, 23 Jun 2007 17:25:59 +0100

Hi Tony

I don't think this is a census oddity at all, but simply an example of a
family who had their own way of amusing themselves on dark winter nights!

Tracking them back through the census, it is pretty certain that Edith is
the daughter of Isaac and Ann (and goodness me that pair had plenty of
children!). In 1881 Edith is a couple of doors away from mum and dad,
unmarried but with a couple of young boys (Henry and William). It would be
more likely that Mary Annie and Flora Jessie are Edith's than Isaac and
Ann's, considering their ages. George and Edith don't appear to have
married, but they seem to have had a number of their own children.

Do you have Mary Annie's birth certificate?

Caroline