ESSEX-UK-L Archives

Archiver > ESSEX-UK > 2007-06 > 1181723473

From: "David Lamb" <>
Subject: Re: [Ess] Half baptisms
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2007 09:31:13 +0100

----- Original Message -----
From: "Charani" <>
To: <>
Sent: Wednesday, June 13, 2007 7:17 AM

> The Baptists have a Naming and Blessing service with adult baptism (full
> immersion) when the child is deemed old enough to fully understand what it
> means. My sister in law is a Baptist and my neice and nephew were done
> when they were 13 and 15 resepecitvely.
>
> --
> Charani (UK)

Not quite right, Charani :-) Baptist churches are not like (say) Anglican
churches, in that each local Baptist church is autonomous, so in a matter
such as naming and blessing services, you cannot really say that "The
Baptists" have them; some Baptist churches may, others may not. I must say
that in my 37 years as a Baptist, I have not come across a Baptist church
that holds a special service for newborn children (though of course some may
do so). The nearest I know of is that some Baptist churches, as part of an
ordinary service, include a thanksgiving for a child recently born to two of
its members.

Also, most Baptist churches do not hold to "adult baptism", but to baptism
of believers, which means they do not baptise babies, but there is no
specified lower age limit. Baptist view baptism as a sign which follows,
after a person has come to personal faith in Jesus Christ.

Regards,

David Lamb

This thread: