ESSEX-UK-L Archives

Archiver > ESSEX-UK > 2007-06 > 1181690554

From: "gwyn bailey" <>
Subject: Re: [Ess] Half baptisms
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2007 00:22:34 +0100

Thank you for this further information, Mike.

Yes the 'Naming and Blessing' was in the local Parish Church here in
Essex, i.e. the Church of England. The church I now attend is a Free
Church which also christens infants, as do the local Methodist and
Roman Catholic churches. I honestly do not know about the Baptist or
United Reform Churches so will ask around as I am now interested!

Best wishes, Gwyn

On 12/06/07, <> wrote:

> writes:
> The 'Service of Naming and blessing' you were offered in the 1970s was
> something introduced about that time to offer something for people who
> were not prepared to make the commitment required in the
> baptism promises.
>
> That's in the CofE, I take it.
>
> We Latter-day Saints have always (afaik) had such a ceremony, because we do
> not baptise children under eight. I don't know what the score is for
> baptists and others who reject infant baptism, but wouldn't be surprised if
> they have a similar arrangement.
>
> If parents of a small child (who is of course already named) join the
> Church, then a Blessing can be done without the naming, and "Blessing" is
> the usual way of referring to the ceremony.
>

> --
>
> Mike Stone - Peterborough, England
>
> For the strength of the Hills we bless, thee, Our God, our fathers' God.
> Thou hast made thy children mighty, By the touch of the mountain sod.
> Thou hast led thy chosen Israel, To freedom's last abode.
> For the strength of the hills we bless, thee, Our God, our fathers' God.
>
> (Hymns of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints; No 35)

This thread: