ESSEX-UK-L Archives

Archiver > ESSEX-UK > 2007-06 > 1181667262

From: Anne Peat <>
Subject: Re: [Ess] Half baptisms
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2007 17:54:22 +0100

This would seem to be a designation peculiar to the clergyman making
the entry, since there is no such thing as 'half baptism' - either you
are baptised or you are not, and in Anglican theology it can't be half
done or repeated.
However, it could, as Charani pointed out, indicate a private baptism (
with naming and water) which would needed to be completed by the
reception of the child into the church in due course.

The 'Service of Naming and blessing' you were offered in the 1970s was
something introduced about that time to offer something for people who
were not prepared to make the commitment required in the
baptism promises. It became, in the ASB 1980, a Service of Thanksgiving
for the Gift of a Child, and such services have continued to be offered
as an alternative to baptism.

Anne
On 12 Jun 2007, at 16:27, gwyn bailey wrote:

> Whilst looking for missing ancestors in the ERO at Chelmsford
> yesterday, I kept coming across the notation 'half baptism', which
> once or twice also had additionally '/naming' added to it against a
> child's name.
>
> Could anyone please explain what this meant? The parish was
> Springfield, c 1800- 1830s.
>
> When my two elder children were born in the 1970s my then local parish
> vicar refused to christen them as we were not regular church goers, we
> had only just moved to the area. Instead he performed a 'naming and
> blessing' ceremony which he informed me would not be 'sufficient',
> i.e. if ever my older children wanted to be confirmed they would need
> to be 'properly' christened. [By the time my third child was
> christened - at another church - we were regular attenders so no
> problem!] So is this 'half baptism' the same sort of thing and was it
> done for the same reason?
>
> Best wishes, Gwyn

This thread: