ESSEX-UK-L Archives

Archiver > ESSEX-UK > 2007-06 > 1181662023

From: "gwyn bailey" <>
Subject: [Ess] Half baptisms
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2007 16:27:03 +0100

Whilst looking for missing ancestors in the ERO at Chelmsford
yesterday, I kept coming across the notation 'half baptism', which
once or twice also had additionally '/naming' added to it against a
child's name.

Could anyone please explain what this meant? The parish was
Springfield, c 1800- 1830s.

When my two elder children were born in the 1970s my then local parish
vicar refused to christen them as we were not regular church goers, we
had only just moved to the area. Instead he performed a 'naming and
blessing' ceremony which he informed me would not be 'sufficient',
i.e. if ever my older children wanted to be confirmed they would need
to be 'properly' christened. [By the time my third child was
christened - at another church - we were regular attenders so no
problem!] So is this 'half baptism' the same sort of thing and was it
done for the same reason?

Best wishes, Gwyn

This thread: