ESSEX-UK-L Archives

Archiver > ESSEX-UK > 2007-06 > 1181037020

From: Spring <>
Subject: Re: [Ess] look up offer, Great war roll of honour,Southend and district
Date: Tue, 05 Jun 2007 05:52:35 -0400

Hi Sue

My own family followed cousins to Essex from Berlin about 50 years
before 1914 and maintained close business interests in Germany up until
the outbreak of war. The men in the Infantry (including volunteers) could
have been physically fighting relatives left "on the other side".
It would only be a long shot, but please see if there is any Moll listed
in that book
Thanks

Peter Moll
Tortola
British Virgin Islands

Sue wrote:
> Hi listers, I d/k if this is of interest to anyone, but here goes,
> I have been lent a book, for a short period only, that lists men from
> Southend on sea and district which includes Rochford hundred and the fringes
> of the parishes from Pitsea to Wickford. who fell for their country in the
> Great war. Most entries have a little piece of background on the
> serviceman. I will give an example later. Includes men from overseas who
> had intimate local associations, but could not claim to be resident at the
> time of enlistment
> The book is divided up into sections:-
> Infantry
> Royal Artillery
> Royal Navy, Marines, Royal naval didvison and mercantile marine
> Royal engineers
> Machine Gun corps
> RAF
> Cavalry
> Royal Army service corps
> Royal Army medical corps
> Hon Artillery Co
> and 'other units'.
>
> There are about 1,800 entries.
>
> Would anyone like me to look up their rellie?
>
> entries vary in detail but here are two at random
>
> MAY Wilfred Lawrence, Trooper, 6th dragoon guards, 24, Southend, enlisted
> Aug 1914, killed by machine gun fire at Frierd Foillouel, nr Noyon France
> April 8th 1918
>
> and
>
> TOMPKINS
> Ernest Earp, Private, Essex Yeomanry ( attd Queens Own Oxford Hussars, 20,
> Southend, enlisted Feb 1915, killed by shell near Chaulmes, France, Aug 10th
> 1918 whilst advancing with his regiment; buried at Warvillers, Roye, Wounded
> at Moncy 1917. 'He was a spledid soldier and his death has been a blow to
> many friends in the squadron.' OC. Name placed on records for conspicous
> bravey at Moncy.
>
> I d/k if this book has more info than can be found form other sources,
> because none of my rellies will be in it.
>
> if you do want a look up and know which for the services your rellie was in,
> that would be a great help to me and save me time.
> Regards
> Sue

This thread: