ESSEX-UK-L Archives

Archiver > ESSEX-UK > 2007-06 > 1180873203

From: "Sue" <>
Subject: [Ess] look up offer, Great war roll of honour, Southend and district
Date: Sun, 3 Jun 2007 13:20:03 +0100

Hi listers, I d/k if this is of interest to anyone, but here goes,
I have been lent a book, for a short period only, that lists men from
Southend on sea and district which includes Rochford hundred and the fringes
of the parishes from Pitsea to Wickford. who fell for their country in the
Great war. Most entries have a little piece of background on the
serviceman. I will give an example later. Includes men from overseas who
had intimate local associations, but could not claim to be resident at the
time of enlistment
The book is divided up into sections:-
Infantry
Royal Artillery
Royal Navy, Marines, Royal naval didvison and mercantile marine
Royal engineers
Machine Gun corps
RAF
Cavalry
Royal Army service corps
Royal Army medical corps
Hon Artillery Co
and 'other units'.

There are about 1,800 entries.

Would anyone like me to look up their rellie?

entries vary in detail but here are two at random

MAY Wilfred Lawrence, Trooper, 6th dragoon guards, 24, Southend, enlisted
Aug 1914, killed by machine gun fire at Frierd Foillouel, nr Noyon France
April 8th 1918

and

TOMPKINS
Ernest Earp, Private, Essex Yeomanry ( attd Queens Own Oxford Hussars, 20,
Southend, enlisted Feb 1915, killed by shell near Chaulmes, France, Aug 10th
1918 whilst advancing with his regiment; buried at Warvillers, Roye, Wounded
at Moncy 1917. 'He was a spledid soldier and his death has been a blow to
many friends in the squadron.' OC. Name placed on records for conspicous
bravey at Moncy.

I d/k if this book has more info than can be found form other sources,
because none of my rellies will be in it.

if you do want a look up and know which for the services your rellie was in,
that would be a great help to me and save me time.
Regards
Sue

This thread: