ESSEX-UK-L Archives

Archiver > ESSEX-UK > 2007-05 > 1178443769

From: "C P Biggam" <>
Subject: Re: [Ess] Death Certificate
Date: Sun, 6 May 2007 10:29:29 +0100

> Sarah CHAMPION was possibly a nurse hired to attend him or the owner of a
> building where he died?

***I've got a similar situation with my g-g-g-grandfather, James Clarke, who
died in 1838. His wife was still alive, and also several sons and daughters,
but the witness to the death was the unrelated (as far as I'm aware) name of
Mary Rowland. When I looked on the 1841 census, I found a Rowland family
about 10 houses away. Perhaps Mary was a nurse, as Nivard suggests, or
perhaps just a kindly neighbour who sat with the sick man (he died of
jaundice) while his wife was on an errand.

Carole Biggam

This thread: