ESSEX-UK-L Archives

Archiver > ESSEX-UK > 2007-04 > 1177029492

From: "michael Daniels" <>
Subject: Re: [Ess] Museum in crisis
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2007 01:38:12 +0100

Hello troubled folk especially those 'concerned' re Walthamstow.

All I have to say about the situation, and here using an extract from
Michael Gilbey's message to make the point, quote: 'Denying both residents
and tourists access to their own heritage'. Just look around this 2007
land
of ours; in cities like London, Manchester, Glasgow, are the people you see
likely to be that interested in heritage, er British heritage? If you think
they are,
you must be seeing things from some parallel universe, detached from this
Earth
of ours.

Don't forget, this Britain, like in the times of our medieval monarchs,
is once
more 'crusading' afar and the cost is 'humungous' to use a new apparently
popular
superlative that has now come into our language. Thus economies at home have
to be made and one of the first casualties are museums and galleries. True
and
undeniable, for most of our present day 'citizenry', they could not care
less if
there was no place for historical artefacts, old books and pictures linked
to a
way of life far removed from their own 'heritage'.

Even, say twenty years ago when we moved to this region and toured
Colchester's five, it might be six, museums, it was sad to see how poorly
they
were being patronised. The Tymperley's Clock Museum, the one staff in
atten- dance, seemed literally delighted when we actually wished to talk
about the
exhibits in his charge, for seemingly very few others appeared to be beating
path to his door! Admittedly, this museum is a bit tucked away just off a
main thoroughfare, but others occupy sites in the much frequented shopping
centre
in the town, and they too were virtually devoidof visitors when we visited.

Sorry, but this appears to be much the case nationally. When we stayed
in Scotland, in Edinburgh, the Royal Museum, and its attached Museum of
Scotland, (dreadful 'carbuncle' addition) we found these institutions,
important
to that country's heritage, well under used. Indeed I had some of the splend
id galleries in the Royal virtually to myself apart from, occasionally, the
company
of a rather bored looking security man.

With such poor attendances, museums, galleries, libraries are going to
become ever more vulnerable to economic cuts and rationalisation. There is
no real answer to the situation. These institutions owed their foundation
to a
period when there was a clear demand for culture and many came into being
when Britain was both wealthy and 'Great'. Now in this 21st century it's
all irrevocably changed and most unfortunately, we have no choice but to
resign-
edly accept the inevitable.

Michael in Clacton where the authorities have recently 'vandalised'
our central library!