ESSEX-UK-L Archives

Archiver > ESSEX-UK > 2007-04 > 1176645738

From: Roger Partridge <>
Subject: Re: [Ess] medal/ church pendant
Date: Sun, 15 Apr 2007 15:02:18 +0100

Hi, Anne, Pat & Listers !

I agree with Anne on virtually all that she has written, but I would
translate it into English as "Jesus the Saviour of Mankind" (that
is if my "altar-boy Latin" has not become too rusty !

The same three letters frequently appear on a Catholic priest's
vestments, e.g. on the back of the chasuble that the priest wears
at Mass.

About the only other possibility would be VERY High Church
Anglican ?

Best Wishes, Roger.
---------------------
On 15 Apr 2007, at 13:48, Anne Peat wrote:

> Hi Pat,
> IHS which you often find on crosses is short for Iesu Homine
> Salvator -
> Jesus the Saviour of the World.
> So yes, it is a Christian medal, probably Roman Catholic.
>
> HTH
> On 15 Apr 2007, at 13:40, Pat Wade wrote:
>
>> Hello all,
>>

>> I have just been to a small HARRINGTON family
>> reunion and was shown a pendant found in the drawn
>> of their grandmothers place. (Our Harringtons
>> started in Essex then immigrated to South
>> Australia - now over most of Australia)
>>

>> Now this is sterling silver and it is a star with
>> eight large points and eight small points (inside
>> each large point). On the front there is a cross
>> with the initials IHS.
>>

>> I suggest that IHS is "In His Service" (have seen
>> variations including probably something in latin -
>> have googled this) so am thinking it is maybe a
>> church/religious pendant rather than an army medal
>> - well maybe.
>>

>> Does this sound familiar to anybody? Any guidance
>> on what this is from or represents would be
>> wonderful and could possibly help with our
>> research. This "pendant" also has initials on the
>> reverse side which we suspect is the initials of
>> the owner "EPH" but we could be wrong. At this
>> point the initials don't mean much to us. The
>> family where it was is HARRINGTON and HOBBS so the
>> H could be either.
>>

>> Thank you
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Pat Wade (Nee King)