ESSEX-UK-L Archives

Archiver > ESSEX-UK > 2006-09 > 1158233825

From: "Jackie Powell" <>
Subject: Re: [Ess] Essex look up POWELL/SPARROW
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2006 21:37:05 +1000

Sue - that's absolutely marvellous - you've hit the jackpot.

Mary Diana SPARROW was born in Childeditch - according to census records and
I knew there was a Jeremiah S_O_M_E_W_H_E_R_E!!, because Charles Sparrow
POWELL's father was listed as Jeremiah on his death cert, but his father was
James and his maternal grandfather was Jeremiah!!! Charles went out to
Australia by himself - he married out there and had a family and I guess his
son-in-law, who was the informant for his death didn't know his family -
only what they had heard from him - and got it all mixed up. You have made
my day.

It looks like Mary had a sister Charlotte - that explains where this name
comes into the family in the next couple of generations.

I'll print off this page and study the others carefully to see if they fit -
if they don't at present, I'll file them safely for future reference - you
never know what will fit on the edges when the tree starts to sprout.

Thanks again
Cheers
Jackie