ESSEX-UK-L Archives

Archiver > ESSEX-UK > 2006-09 > 1157407883

From: "Chris" <>
Subject: Re: [Ess] Origins.Net - Free Access on Monday (Corrected)
Date: Mon, 4 Sep 2006 23:11:23 +0100

Well it worked for me.

I logged on when I got home from work at 6:00pm

Signed up.

Was wary of the charges thing, but continued.

I did NOT have to enter any bank details.

I got the free day. I have done some searches and downloaded some image
files.

BUT..... (I don't believe it)

The image files are useless.

I tried a couple of programs, which I have sucsessfully manipulated tiff
files before. (I've been converting graphics files for 20 years now and I'm
very successful at it.)
Both my scanner software and my favorite graphics package (Graphics WorkShop
Professional) show the files as plain black pages.

The file has a different header to other tiff files that can be opened.

A bit of a loss really, well here is another customer they won't get.

(rant mode on)

I suspect they have made a lousy decision based on a total ignorance of the
strengths and weaknesses if the various image formats.
But
perhaps it was based on a half remembered conversation in a pub at
lunch-time....
or maybe they were conned into buying the wrong software....
perhaps they don't understanding anything about computers.....
but most likely........

If anyone gets a chance give origins a rocket... Denounce them in public....

They seem to have jumped on the bandwagon to make a quick buck.

(rant mode off)

I have converted tiff to gifs, bmps and jpegs ..........
On Macs, PCs and SUN workstations.
In the late 80's

We shouldn't be having these kind of problems 15 years on.

Chris.
I've been doing this for over 20 years, I may be old, but I'm tried and
tested.

This thread: