ESSEX-UK-L Archives

Archiver > ESSEX-UK > 2006-08 > 1155737190

From: "Duncan Smith" <>
Subject: Re 1831 Census
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2006 15:06:30 +0100

Sandra in Sydney was asking ... " I have been told that my Edward Bettis and family are on the 1831 Census for High Ongar and was wondering where I may be able to find such information" .....

and Steve replied ... "I'm not certain, but I think that the 1841 was the earliest census that is of use to family historians, as the previous ones just counted how many people there were, but did not record who they were. At least not by name." .....

Although I'm not sure where copies are held (perhaps the Essex Record Office ?) there does seem to be reference made to a High Ongar census of 1831 - at
www.VisionofBritain.org.uk

There were British censuses carried out every 10 years from 1801 -1831, although quite often, as Steve has mentioned, they were just basic headcounts. However, some did show more than this, and in fact a good example is the St John Hackney 1831 census (sold on CD by the EoLFHS) which details such items as name, address, house number and occupation.

If you are very lucky, you may come across even earlier mini censuses of certain Essex Parishes. While recently searching through some uncatalogued items at Essex R.O. I found a listing of 'all persons living in Great Leighs between the age of 15 & 60 years' which had been taken in February & April 1798. It in fact listed males only, with their occupations, and then a 2nd list mentions males over the age of 60.

Duncan, Dundee

This thread: