ESSEX-UK-L Archives

Archiver > ESSEX-UK > 2006-06 > 1151618529

From: "Colleen" <>
Subject: Re: [Ess] Forty Acre Lane, Canning Town, West Ham, Essex
Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2006 23:02:09 +0100

I would have thought that was very likely...if it wasn't for one of our
irritating - or interesting dependng how you look upon it - habits over
here. over the centuries we've tended to mutate our place and surnames. Its
quite common for names of, say, Saxon, Roman, Norman or whatever origin to
have been anglicised and - by a process akin to Chinese whispers - for the
spelling to have gradually morphed into the nearest English equivalent of
the original name. Sometimes the transformations are quite weird and
wonderful and don't have much resemblance to the original name. So Maeldun
(meaning cross on a hill) became Maldon, which means nothing. Don't know if
this might apply to Forty Acres, but imagine it could.

Colleen