ESSEX-UK-L Archives

Archiver > ESSEX-UK > 2006-06 > 1151346117

From: "Colleen" <>
Subject: Re: Essex History Fair
Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2006 19:21:57 +0100

Sounds excellent, Lawrence, thanks for your description. The problem with
this time of year in Essex is we're spoilt for choice. I'd have loved to
have seen the Braintree Fair too - and Sheering church's flower festival
plus some others held on the same day.

Other fascinating events held at this time of year too are the village open
days, when local people throw open their gardens for sight seers to traipse
round. I went to Little Totham's last year and Goldhanger's this year, which
meant I could take some pictures of historic houses and their gardens which
are usually hidden from view behind high hedges. But...I forgot to charge up
my camera battery the night before Goldhanger's, so will have to wait for
next year's open day to get some of the pics I wanted!

These open days - usually to raise funds for the church - are becoming more
and more common these days. I just wish there was a list of them somewhere
as I'm sure I'm missing those of some of the villages I'd love to see.

Colleen