ESSEX-UK-L Archives

Archiver > ESSEX-UK > 2006-06 > 1150619935

From: "Colleen" <>
Subject: Re: Filing
Date: Sun, 18 Jun 2006 09:38:55 +0100

----- Original Message -----
From: "Diane wynne" <>

> On 18/06/06, Mary Skipworth <> wrote:
>
>> If the originals are in official
>> repositories all you need to store is the archival reference that would
>> enable someone who disputes your genealogy to get their own copy to check
>> it.
>
> But will the archives be there!

An important point, Diane. I'm sure those who kept hard copies of some of
the Irish records which were destroyed when the IRA bombed the records
office there are very glad that they did so, as these records have now been
lost forever. Who's to say what will happen to our records offices in the
future, will changing Government policy gradually do away with them? Medal
cards are a case in point, will these be disposed of and, if so, what if the
digitised records are destroyed or corrupted - or incomplete? How many other
documents will be destroyed?

Colleen

This thread: