ESSEX-UK-L Archives

Archiver > ESSEX-UK > 2006-06 > 1150036391

From: "Steven Bird" <>
Subject: Storm surges/lightning strikes - how to protect
Date: Sun, 11 Jun 2006 10:33:11 -0400

That statement is also incorrect. Please look at the joule rating of the
surge protector. The higher the rating number, the more likely to protect
against a lightning strike. Some protectors carry unlimited warranties
against connected equipment failure.

A 300 joule protector (your basic $7.99 Wal-Mart protector) won't stop a
lightning strike. A good quality protector (multiple thousands of joules
rating) can and will. I am speaking from personal experience. A really
good surge protector is sometimes called a "lightning arrestor." That is
the best possible choice for this job.

If you decide to purchase a good lightning/surge protector, make sure it has
an equipment warranty that exceeds the value of your equipment (or just get
the unlimited warranty,) then follow the instructions EXACTLY. Make sure
that EVERY connection (including any cables, telephone lines, etc.) are also
routed through the surge protector. Document everything with photos.
Finally, DON'T disconnect it/them during a lightning storm. You are
removing the ground path for the surge and then it *won't work.* If you do
disconnect the power cord, then for goodness sake disconnect every other
cable, phone cord and wire going to the wall from the equipment also.

In that situation, you should not lose any equipment except in the case of a
direct lightning strike on the power line leading into your abode or the
wiring in the dwelling itself. Nothing will stop that! However, that is
very unlikely. That's why you need the warranty on all connected equipment.
Oh, yes, and keep all receipts and documentation to claim the warranty.
Any strike or surge on the other side of the pole pig (transformer leading
to the house) is likely to be stopped by the protector. Please note that I
am only a consumer, not a professional electrician and that all of this
advice is based on my personal experience, so please don't take my advice as
that of a qualified electrician.

Steve

>Subject: Re: [Ess] computer help please
>Date: Sun, 11 Jun 2006 10:01:34 EDT
>

>Dans un e-mail dat du 09/06/2006 13:46:21 Romance Daylight Time,
> a crit :
>
>Every computer should have a surge protector to guard against electrical
>storm activity
>

>Hi there,
>I'm no great computer expert but I think this statement could lead people
>into a false state of security.
>As far as I'm aware surge protectors only help against voltage fluctuations
>in the local electricity supply. I'm pretty sure sure it wouldn't help
>against
>a lightening strike.
>Regards, Mick.

This thread: