ESSEX-UK-L Archives

Archiver > ESSEX-UK > 2006-06 > 1149848517

From: "Jenny De Angelis" <>
Subject: Re: Re Access to registers
Date: Fri, 9 Jun 2006 12:21:57 +0200

County Record offices do not issue Civil Registration Certificates. The
Local Superintendant Regisrars Office holds the originla Registers. The GRO
only hold copies of thos registers, copies which have been made quarterly by
each District Registrars office and it is from these copies that the GRO
compile the GRO index.

If you order a certificate copy fromt he District Register office you will
be getting a copy taken from the original register but the GRO issues copies
from their copy, so you get a copy of a copy from them.

The only exception to what registers the Distric Registrars office holds is
the Marraige register, the originals are held by the church, which registers
very frequently end up in the County Record Office. As most Marriages take
place in church then the register is held by the church and the incumbent
makes a copy of the marraiges contained in his register for the District
Registrars office.

I have never been asked to include postage or an SAE with order for
certificate copies, I understood that the cost of p&p was included in the
cert. fee.

One thing I have found with District Register Offices is that if you contact
them and ask many of them will not take credit card payments but they do not
have online facitilitie for these sort of payments, you need to either phone
them with your card details or else write a letter including the those
details in it. Many offices now have e.mail addresses too, I find that if I
search on Google for say "Colchester Registrars Office" in inverted commas
as I have shown here, I quite often get up the local Register Offices
webpage their e.mail address is usually included in the contact link. Try
googling for the register office you are intersted in and see if you get
anywhere.

Regards
Jenny DeAngelis
Spain.