ESSEX-UK-L Archives

Archiver > ESSEX-UK > 2006-06 > 1149847953

From: Steve <>
Subject: Re: [Ess] Re Access to registers
Date: Fri, 09 Jun 2006 11:12:33 +0100

"the GRO 'aims to ensure neither a profit nor a loss.' "
Having experience with other agencies, I would want to have a careful
look at their accounts to ensure that there was no input from central
government before commenting on this in any detail, as at least 2 full
cost recovery agencies that I am aware of are not allowed to charge the
full cost of their product as this would be politically "inappropriate"

"Certificates orders in person from the GRO (which is how most
certificates are obtained)"
I thought one of their recent news letters was boasting that they now do
over 60% of their certificates from on-line applications?

"I'm puzzled by your reference to having obtained hand written BMD
certificates - those this topic relates to - from the County Records
offices as I wasn't aware these offices supplied these."
I may have been unclear in my phrasing with that. What I thought I said
was hand written envelopes for certificates. The most recent one was for
a certificate ordered on-line from Wolverhampton. I've not purchased an
Essex certificate recently as I keep promising myself a trip to ERO, but
it hasn't happened yet. As far as I am aware all register offices have
to supply copies of "their" certificates. In my experience, some are
more efficient than others at doing this. EG Stockton-on-Tees lets you
ask if they have a particular record on-line and then allows you to
order over the phone paying by credit or debit card. Other offices
insist on a written application with cheque and self addressed envelope.

As to the relevance of jobs, well I know that , according to the ICAEW,
it takes the most efficient companies about £2 per item to process
cheques from receipt, to bank. The book-keeping required adds to this.
So I still think that £7/certificate, ordered locally or centrally, is
good value for money.

Steve