ESSEX-UK-L Archives

Archiver > ESSEX-UK > 2006-06 > 1149796604

From: "Colleen" <>
Subject: Re Access to registers
Date: Thu, 8 Jun 2006 20:56:44 +0100

Just had a look at the GRO's website, Steve, and we're both wrong on this.
The GRO states that certificate fees are set at a level 'whereby the full
cost of providing the service is recovered from income', the GRO 'aims to
ensure neither a profit nor a loss.' So your costing of £70 per certificate
is way out - and my view is still that the GRO actually do better than they
admit on these certificates.'

Also, the GRO are obliged by statute to hold & protect these records and to
make them accessible to the public, so would have storage, building, staff &
conservation costs even if they didn't sell one certificate. As Dave Dobbin
rightly says, these records are quickly accessible, digitised ones.
Certificates orders in person from the GRO (which is how most certificates
are obtained) require an addressed envelope with the application form, so
there's not as much work in posting orders as you believe.

I'm puzzled by your reference to having obtained hand written BMD
certificates - those this topic relates to - from the County Records offices
as I wasn't aware these offices supplied these. Have the Essex Records
Office had a policy change? If so, I'd be interested to hear from you how to
order these from there.

Don't see the relevence of your job or mine to this topic, a company
accountant or an MD can be as big a dodo as anyone - as we've just proved
:-)

Colleen