ESSEX-UK-L Archives

Archiver > ESSEX-UK > 2006-06 > 1149782839

From: "Jay Kay" <>
Subject: Re: [Ess] Re Access to registers
Date: Thu, 8 Jun 2006 17:07:19 +0100

I understood that the original books do still exist, so have to be stored
somewhere. Just as church registers have been microfilmed, but the original
registers do still exist (mostly!). So some shelf space has to be found
somewhere, even if they're not in use every day.

Mike Foster's book about GRO registration makes good reading.

On 6/8/06, <> wrote:

> writes:
>
> And then there is the sheer physical cost of storage. Just how much
> shelf space do the registers of the last 150 years take up?
>

> Not as much as you would think. Certificates are stored on microfilm
> and the
> copies we get are produced from them on special printers.
>
> DaveD

This thread: