ESSEX-UK-L Archives

Archiver > ESSEX-UK > 2006-06 > 1149716056

From: "Diane wynne" <>
Subject: Re: [Ess] Re Access to registers
Date: Wed, 7 Jun 2006 23:34:16 +0200

On 07/06/06, jackycooper.clav78 <> wrote:
> I got quite hopeful a while back, having heard that reform was being proposed about >access to registers - but I guess getting an extortionate £8 (with regular increases)

7pounds actually and relatively cheap by comparison to the 5s charged
in the mid 1960s

>from family historians for every certificate is too tempting for the
General Register >Office to give up.

So you want the tax payers to foot the bill for your hobby?! Someone
has to process the request, find the certificate, copy it and then
post it - time and postage cost money.

I'm getting really fed up with people carping on about the costs
incurred in order to follow a hobby. I'd rather the GRO charged a lot
more and used the money to increase the government pension retired
people are expected to live on.

>A friend of mine (who was hoping to carry out a serious research
project and needed >information from the actual entries) ........ It
is quite disgraceful that bona fide >researchers doing projects on,
for instance, epidemics, cannot get access to the data >contained only
within these records unless they pay £8 a time.

Hopefully this was research which would be useful now

This thread: