ESSEX-UK-L Archives

Archiver > ESSEX-UK > 2006-05 > 1148924175

From: "Colleen" <>
Subject: Re: KING, Alexander - Hatfield Peverel
Date: Mon, 29 May 2006 18:36:15 +0100

The reference to Alexander King states that on St Patrick's Day, 17th March
1628, evidence was given to a trial in Witham regarding disturbances, some
of them armed, that had occurred in the town connected to the billeting of
soldiers there. The soldiers had not been paid and blamed the local bigwigs
for withholding their money - whereas in fact the problem was that the
King/Privy Council had not paid the big wigs. Local people were billeting
soldiers and letting them have services on promises of payment which had not
been met - so they were mighty peeved too. Part of the evidence given at the
hearing - by Uriah Zebland a husbandman and Thomas Shakerley, a butcher -
was that during the morning they had seen two men carrying muskets into the
George yard. The George, then an inn, is now the Victorian fronted town
hall.

The two men with muskets were identified as: George Cresswell, a religious
dissenter who had caused trouble earlier in the year when he 'did a long
time rudely and 'unreverentlie bounce and knock at the churche door when he
might have gone in at other of the churche doors being open' - also
blacksmith Alexander King from Hatfield Peverel who 'hid his musket under
his leather apron' and was seen 'walking about the chambers of the said
house wearing a plunket [grey] coloured hat'.

The evidence was sent to the privy council with a letter that similar
disturbances would occur every day until the council sent money to pay the
soldiers. Al this, of course, was part of the run up to the English Civil
War which ultimately saw demanding, big spending and arrogant King Charles
beheaded.

Colleen