ESSEX-UK-L Archives

Archiver > ESSEX-UK > 2006-05 > 1148911368

From: "Colleen" <>
Subject: KING also SEABROOKE - Kelvedon
Date: Mon, 29 May 2006 15:02:48 +0100

From Kelvedon & its Antiquities by BL Kentish Pubd by Phillimore 1974

Chapter on maltings.

'In Swan Street, behind what is now 180 High Street, formerly SEABROOKES. it was thought to be very old, perhaps about 400 years, made of chopped straw & daub. in 1789, Richard KING owned it and occupied a freehold messuage and malt office (Coggeshall Town Manor) called Pitmans.'

Colleen

Subject: Re: KING - Braxted & Witham & White Hart Murder - was Holman's MS etc

Colleen,

Actually, my ancestor, Francis King, owned the White Hart, if I'm reading the will correctly. The occupants were Benjamin Fraser and a Mr. Alsop, confectioner. I assume Mr Fraser actually ran the Inn and Mr Alsop had an adjoining shop, but Francis King lived in a separate house "at the end of the yard." He also owned the Green Man in Little Braxted and the Chequer Inn in Whickham Bishops.

Francis also owned other land in LB, as well as a manor in Rivenhall, and properties in several other nearby villages. If you want, I can send you my transcript of the will. Most of the properties identify the tenants, so it might be useful for someone doing research in the area.

Thanks again,
John F