ESSEX-UK-L Archives

Archiver > ESSEX-UK > 2006-05 > 1146873850

From: "june harvey" <>
Subject: GURNETT Canada to Essex
Date: Fri, 05 May 2006 17:04:10 -0700

Hello Listers:

I live in Canada and am new to Essex research.

John James GURNETT, the son of John Thomas GURNETT and Jane Phepoe COLLES,
is described on a Commemorative Biographical Record for his father as a
Sergeant-Major, instructor of gunning, in Shoeburyness, England. His father
died in 1886, but the Biographical Record was published in 1907.

In a letter dated December, 1928, he is described as a Lient (?) John
GURNETT, of 62 Woodfield Road, Leigh on Sea, Essex.

I cannot find a Leigh on Sea in Essex, only a Leigh. Could someone please
set me straight on this.

John James was born between 1871 and 1873 in York county (probably Toronto),
Ontario. It seems to me that he had settled permanently in England -
probably in Essex.

Does anyone have GURNETTs in their tree?

June

This thread: