ESSEX-UK-L Archives

Archiver > ESSEX-UK > 2006-04 > 1145199445-01

From: "La Greenall" <>
Subject: Image printing - was RE: [Ess] Re: Re: settlement
Date: Sun, 16 Apr 2006 15:57:25 +0100

Firstly, thanks Colleen for sending me one of these images to look at. I
don't get a 1meg email every day! I will try to keep my solution as
straightforward as possible.

Secondly, apologies for being very off-topic; please delete this now if
you're not into image editing and don't want to be!

The basic problem is that the image is whatever size it wants to be - it
isn't always conveniently the same as an A4 page. So what needs to be
done is to resize it to fit onto A4. (you could tile it across several
A4 pages to get one very big print, but that would be getting a bit
involved for this email!)

However, internet browsers aren't very good at this; in fact they're
terrible. What they're good at is fitting web pages onto computer
monitor screens - at least in theory! (For example, my Firefox browser
has a Print Preview option (see below) but this cuts the image up across
several pages even when 'shrink to fit' is enabled (see below again)).
The best way round this is to view the image in an image program
instead, such as Photoshop, Irfanview, or even Paint, or failing this,
Word will also work, if a bit awkwardly. These programs have printing
functions and controls much higher up in their list of priorities.

Firstly, right-click the image in the SEAX website page and look for
'save this image as...' or similar. If you save the image to your
desktop, this will usually create a new file with the extension ".jpg"
(though it could be gif, bmp, tif, etc>, but don't worry if it is). (If
you can't do this, try 'copy this image to clipboard' or similar, then
open up a new blank image in your image editing program and paste the
clipboard contents into it.)

Double-click on this new file's name, and it will open up in whatever
default image editing program you have installed. It doesn't matter
whether you can see all of the image displayed or only part of it -
again, you are only looking at a view designed for a PC monitor, not for
an A4 page of paper. This next bit aims to produce a new view of the
image on your screen, but this time showing what it will look like on a
sheet of A4 paper. The steps will vary a bit depending what program you
have, but it shouldn't be by much. Click on "File" in the top menu bar,
then look for "Print Preview". Sometimes this doesn't exist or is greyed
out. If so, see later. Sometimes there's an icon below the menu bar
which might look a bit like a magnifying glass. If so, just clicking on
this might produce the same results. Or it might not, but that's another
story!

If you can't find the 'Print Preview' option, look instead for
"Print..." The dots are important: if you click on "Print" without dots,
your image is automatically printed without any adjustments, and will
almost certainly not fit on the page again. But if you click on
"Print..." with dots, this will take you to a new options window
(properly called a dialogue box unless you're in the US) where you can
control the printing parameters, in the same way as under 'Print
Preview' as outlined below.

Whether you use 'print preview' or 'print...' look out firstly for a
tick-box or button marked 'shrink to fit' or 'shrink image to fit' or
similar. Guess what it does? Yes, it will automatically fit your image
to the paper's size. Click in the tick-box to see if you like the
results. If not, try fiddling about as follows.

If you clicked on 'Print Preview' you should now get a similar dialogue
box to the one in 'Print...' which should have control buttons to allow
you to change the paper's orientation (portrait, landscape), whether the
file title, date of printing, and other info is printed as well or just
the image, whether it has a white border or is printed full-page (this
is enabled only with some printers), and so on. But don't fiddle with
these just yet - read the next bit first.

In 'Print Preview' only, there will, as well as the dialogue box, also
be a new display of your image within a thin black rectangular outline
which represents a sheet of A4 paper. This extra makes 'Print Preview'
preferable to the other methods, though they will all still work. The
Print Preview image will, of course, not fit entirely within the
rectangle. What you are seeing is what would be printed on an A4 page
without any further adjustments.

As an alternative to the dialogue box, or rather as a complement to it,
look for what are called "grab-handles". These should be at all four
corners and also halfway along each side of the image (i.e. not on the
A4 rectangle). If you click and drag any one of these you'll find that
you can stretch or shrink the image in 'real time' as it were, whilst
the rectangle (your sheet of paper) stays the same. The edge handles
won't preserve aspect ratio (in other words, if you drag one of the left
or right ones, any people in the pic will stay the same height but will
get considerably fatter or thinner, along with everything else in the
image); whilst the corner handles will preserve the aspect ratio, thus
making them very useful for zooming your image without distorting it.

Now you can fiddle to your heart's content! When you have the image set
out within the A4 rectangle to your satisfaction, hit PRINT. But don't
cross your fingers until after you hit PRINT!

PS. There are other ways of achieving a similar result, such as changing
the image's resolution or its size, but these make changes to the
original file which I don't like doing; I think it's best to keep the
original file's integrity intact. If I want to make such changes, I do
them to a copy of the file.

Phew!

Lawrence Greenall.

This thread: