ESSEX-UK-L Archives

Archiver > ESSEX-UK > 2006-04 > 1144137951

From: Adrian Gray <>
Subject: RE: [Ess] Proof of Residency
Date: Tue, 04 Apr 2006 09:05:51 +0100

A further thought on settlement issues. I don't know how common this was, but at
Great Sampford there is a record of certificates issued in the flyleaf of the
vestry minute book (beware - these can be INCREDIBLY dull reading if your family
aren't mentioned, or you don't have a feel for economic minutiae!). I don't know
if all the information recorded on a certificate is there, as I've never seen a
certificate proper, but it does record their parish of origin.

Worth a look if you think the vestry minute book survives for the parish they
settled in.

ADrian

This thread: