ESSEX-UK-L Archives

Archiver > ESSEX-UK > 2006-04 > 1144096117

From: "Dick Mathews" <>
Subject: Re: [Ess] Proof of Residency
Date: Mon, 3 Apr 2006 21:28:57 +0100
References: <8114.>

Try searching Google for "poor law" for a variety of explanatory pages -

The three interlinked documents (Settlement Certificates, Settlement
Examinations, Removal Orders) provide a valuable resource if your ancestors
are mentionsed in one of them. I have a certificate for my wife's Hansell
ancestors which proves that a family who 'tuirned up' in Tolleshunt D'Arcy
(or Towleson Darcy as the document has it!) originated from Ballingdon (in
Essex, but adjacent to Sudbury in Suffolk).

Dick Mathews

----- Original Message -----
From: <>
To: <>
Sent: Monday, April 03, 2006 12:14 PM
Subject: [Ess] Proof of Residency

> Hi List
> Some time ago I was told of a document issued to alien heads of household
> to give them legal right to live in a particular parish.
> They had to prove that they could support themselves otherwise would be
> declared Paupers and transported back to their 'home' villages/towns etc.
> Can anyone tell me the true term for these documents as I simply cannot
> recall it and think that tracing someone using them may give me the
> opportunity to break down a few stone walls.
> Thank you
> Sandra Cardwell
> Preston, Lancs

This thread: