ESSEX-UK-L Archives

Archiver > ESSEX-UK > 2006-04 > 1144096117

From: "Dick Mathews" <>
Subject: Re: [Ess] Proof of Residency
Date: Mon, 3 Apr 2006 21:28:57 +0100

Try searching Google for "poor law" for a variety of explanatory pages -
e.g. http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&safe=active&q=poor+law

The three interlinked documents (Settlement Certificates, Settlement
Examinations, Removal Orders) provide a valuable resource if your ancestors
are mentionsed in one of them. I have a certificate for my wife's Hansell
ancestors which proves that a family who 'tuirned up' in Tolleshunt D'Arcy
(or Towleson Darcy as the document has it!) originated from Ballingdon (in
Essex, but adjacent to Sudbury in Suffolk).

Dick Mathews