ESSEX-UK-L Archives

Archiver > ESSEX-UK > 2006-04 > 1144062797

Subject: Proof of Residency
Date: Mon, 3 Apr 2006 12:14:31 +0100 (BST)

Hi List

Some time ago I was told of a document issued to alien heads of household
to give them legal right to live in a particular parish.

They had to prove that they could support themselves otherwise would be
declared Paupers and transported back to their 'home' villages/towns etc.

Can anyone tell me the true term for these documents as I simply cannot
recall it and think that tracing someone using them may give me the
opportunity to break down a few stone walls.

Thank you

Sandra Cardwell
Preston, Lancs

This thread: