ESSEX-UK-L Archives

Archiver > ESSEX-UK > 2006-03 > 1142731003

Subject: Re: [Ess] DNA caution
Date: Sat, 18 Mar 2006 20:16:43 EST

I strikes me that the use of DNA always splits people down the middle (no
pun intended).

There are those who do not see the need for it in their research *at the
moment* and who are anti the use of it. There are those who see a potential
benefit to their particular research and who actively pursue it.

Who's to say that either side is wrong? Just because I have one view on it
does not mean that my view is 100% right and the other side 100% wrong. Just
because someone writes an article that is weighted to one direction or the
other, no matter how eminent the person, does not mean that they are right - it
just means they hold a view that others may share.

In some circumstances, DNA testing will be useful and in others it is not.
It's just that when you need it the technique is available - it is up to you
whether or not to use it.

It has its limitations (mainly depending on the fickleness of human nature)
and so long as you recognise them and work within them it can be used as a
tool. Because a blacksmith uses a large hammer and a jeweller uses a small
screwdriver doesn't mean that the jeweller can claim the hammer is no good, or
the blacksmith claiming the screwdriver is useless as a tool. Each tool is
useful to the person who does that particular job. You make the horseshoes and
I'll make the watch.

DaveD

This thread: