ESSEX-UK-L Archives

Archiver > ESSEX-UK > 2006-02 > 1140997384

From: Steve <>
Subject: Re: [Ess] 1911 Census info
Date: Sun, 26 Feb 2006 23:43:04 +0000

On other lists, I have read that the scare stories about decomposition
are over the top.

As for release before 01 Jan 2012, the hundred year rule provides for
that level of privacy because otherwise it would be even harder to get
people to complete the censuses.

""Whilst we are aware of the rules, i.e the 1911 census is not
available to the"public" ""
Not rules.
Law.
Not available in detail to anybody in other than summarised.

With the way life expectancy is increasing, some of us alive now could
easily top 100, and some people are only honest because they will be
dead long before the census is released.

All the law provides for is that the census will remain private for 100
years, allowing anybody to start transcribing/scanning/or whatever
before then breaks that undertaking, and would require an act of parliament.

Don't waste your time or breath complaining, as nothing is going to
change. There are not enough votes in it.

Steve