ESSEX-UK-L Archives

Archiver > ESSEX-UK > 2006-02 > 1140954006

From: "Neil Bowers" <>
Subject: RE: [Ess] 1911 Census info
Date: Sun, 26 Feb 2006 11:40:06 -0000

This implies that there is some requirement to digitise the census.
As far as I know there is no requirement to provide the census data either
in transcripts or digitally.
The 1901 is the only census the government has funded the
indexing/transcription/digitising for
and that was on the basis that it could be done economically.
The 1901 may have made the same process for the 1911 less likely due to the
unexpected extra work/infrastructure involved.
I suspect the prospect of doing the same thing with the 1911 is scaring the
government off ever doing it,
and from what Rod Neep has said I think the same may be true of ACDB,
Ancestry, 1837Online, Stepping Stones etc.