ESSEX-UK-L Archives

Archiver > ESSEX-UK > 2006-01 > 1138308186

From: "C P Biggam" <>
Subject: New member
Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2006 20:43:06 -0000

Hello List-members,

I've just joined. My name is Carole BIGGAM (nee CLARKE), and I live in Helensburgh, west of Glasgow. I'm involved in research in historical linguistics at the University of Glasgow.

I'm fairly new to family history research, and was amazed to find I have a connection with Essex. Going back to my grandfather, our connections are with Dorset and Lancashire, but unknown to everyone, my g-grandfather, Joseph James CLARKE, turned out to have been born in Harwich, and his father, Joseph CLARKE, was born in Dovercourt. Joseph James married in the north, but Joseph married Mary Ann SAXBY from Harwich.

I'm currently trying (rather unsuccessfully) to move on to an even earlier generation. I know my g-g-g-grandfather was called James CLARKE, and that his wife was called Mary (oh, such ordinary names). James was a labourer. Clearly Mary at least was in Dovercourt when her sons were born there (Joseph in 1813 and Nathan in 1816), but the ERO tells me there's no marriage record for James and Mary in Dovercourt. Assuming they *did* marry, I suppose the next most likely place for their marriage is Harwich but, if that draws a blank, I have no clue at the moment where to look next. Essex seems to be brimming over with Clarkes.

Last summer, I made my first trip to Dovercourt and Harwich, and found Joseph and Mary Ann's gravestone in All Saints churchyard, Dovercourt. It was an amazing moment.

I'd be delighted to hear from anyone searching for CLARKEs, CLARKs or SAXBYs in the Dovercourt / Harwich area.

Best regards,

Carole
Dr C P Biggam, FSA
Dept of English Language