ESSEX-UK-L Archives

Archiver > ESSEX-UK > 2005-12 > 1133569128

From: "La Greenall" <>
Subject: RE: [Ess] Re: Arthur Mee
Date: Sat, 3 Dec 2005 00:18:48 -0000

Courtesy of Abebooks (where I was able to cut off the results to no
later than 1902):

"CAERMARTHENSHIRE NOTES (Antiquarian, Topographical, and Curious)."
Volume 1., Part 1 - Volume 3., Part 4, April 1889 - December 1891.
Edited by Arthur Mee, F.R.A.S." Llanelly: Printed at the "South Wales
Press" Offices, [vol.1]; adding Caermarthen: Offices of the "Welshman",
[vols. 2 and 3], 1889-1891., 1891. 3 vols. in one, 12mo. Continued as
"Caermarthenshire Notes and Miscellany for South West Wales
(Antiquarian, Topographical, and Curious)" after the end of the first
volume in April 1890.

"King and Emperor the Life History of Edward VII" Mee, Arthur.
[Published by] S.W. Partridge, London, 1901.

"The King's England - Devon, Cradle of Our Seamen" Mee, Arthur (ed)
Caxton Publishing Company Limited, 1899.

There are also numerous volumes of "The Book of Knowledge - Children's
Encyclopedia" by Arthur Mee, all dated 1900 except for one of 1899 - BUT
there is also this one, which might suggest that these were written by a
different Arthur Mee:

"Book of Knowledge - Children's Encyclopedia Vol 3" Mee, Arthur &
Thompson, Holland. Grolier Society of London, 1812.

This date could of course be a typo, but this one came up too:

"WINCHESTER, THE GUIDE TO HISTORIC WINCHESTER. (ISBN:0340000716)" Mee,
Arthur.No date (c.'s). St. Hugh's Press., 1850.

However, after a bit of searching I cannot find any other pre-1898 books
by an Arthur Mee, so I think it likely that both the early dates are
spurious and that 'our' Arthur probably wrote/edited all of them,
probably no earlier than the late 1890s.

I have also discovered that there was an early 19th century architect
called Arthur Mee; he was awarded second prize for the design he
submitted jointly with Alexis de Ch√Ęteauneuf of Hamburg for the new
Royal Exchange Building, London, in 1839.

Lastly, there is one more Arthur Mee book which is undated and has no
publisher's details, though its title would suggest an affiliation with
the Childrens' Encyclopaedias:

"THE CHILDREN`S SHAKESPEARE" Mee, Arthur. (editor). (This book is being
offered for sale by a bookseller in Gt. Hallingbury).

Regards, Lawrence Greenall.