ESSEX-UK-L Archives

Archiver > ESSEX-UK > 2005-08 > 1124312941

From: "Kim Jones" <>
Subject: Re: Harwich seafarers
Date: Thu, 18 Aug 2005 07:09:01 +1000

I also have an interest in the seafarers of old.
Several of my ancestors were fishermen and master mariners.
I have one of much interest, his name is John PITTUCK or PITTICK born around
the 1760's. He was married in Wivenhoe and the family lived there for many
years.
John PITTUCK was the owner of a vessel called the 'Good Intent', he was
caught smuggling and the vessel was seized and condemned, 22 Jan 1803. I'm
research this area as I'm hoping to find out where John PITTUCK was born or
if he was jailed and if he was jailed, where. If anyone has any info that
may be of help to me I would love to hear from you.

Re - Patricia's email - I have HARVEY connections in my family but they are
all lived in Wivenhoe, all shipbuilders or mariners.

Diane. your website on Cornish Smugglers is great, I found it very
interesting. Got a little excited when I saw the 'Good Intent' under the
Smugglers Craft section, if it's the same one (as it was registered in 1800)
it has been very busy! John PITTUCK is listed as the sole subscribing owner.

If anyone comes across the PITTUCK name anywhere in the 1700's I would love
to here from you.

Happy hunting all
Kim

Kim Jones (nee PITTUCK)