ESSEX-UK-L Archives

Archiver > ESSEX-UK > 2005-08 > 1124273377

From: Ruth Aylett <>
Subject: Re: [Ess] Moiety for excise officers help pls.
Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2005 11:09:37 +0100

have employees to collect it but farmed it out to private individuals
in return for a share of the proceeds. Of course this provided plenty
of opportunities for collecting more than had been asked for and
defrauding the Crown, which I suppose was why the Inland Revenue was
eventually set up.

In the case of Excise Officers I guess the idea was that the legal
share would be greater than the average bribe to turn a blind eye..

Ruth
---

--
Ruth Aylett Professor of Computer