ESSEX-UK-L Archives

Archiver > ESSEX-UK > 2005-08 > 1124194622

From: Diane wynne <>
Subject: Re: [Ess] Harwich seafarers
Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2005 14:17:02 +0200

On 15/08/05, Patricia Graham <> wrote:

> I have been plodding a lonely furrow - or lonely billow - amongst the
> seafarers
> of the East coast - most particularly from HARWICH. (Though just now I
> discover
> a connection to St.Osyth's and Brightlingsea.) .
> Surnames involved are HARVEY - SIMS - CLARKE.

Hi Patricia,

Seems we're plodding a similar lonely billow. I too am researching
seafarers from Harwich - DEANE, PALMER, SPRATLIN(G) or SPRACKLIN,
HEARN, KIRK, should you come across any of these I'd be delighted.

I have a list of men nominated to the Preventive Boat Service 1816 -1819
Among these is -
Joseph CLARK born Harwich, appointed March 1817
Walter Sims born St Osyth, appointed March 1817

Should you wish to see full details of their nomination, including
salary, time at sea you will find the complete list on my website at:
www.telefonica.net/web/wynne
Click on menu and then Coastguards (you can also double check I've not
missed any of your names.) The list is in date appointed order as per
the original document.

Hope this helps
Regards,
Diane