ESSEX-UK-L Archives

Archiver > ESSEX-UK > 2005-08 > 1124192722

From: "Patricia Graham" <>
Subject: Re: [Ess] Re: Double tragedy
Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2005 12:45:22 +0100

Dear Alec,
that's a good suggestion.
The names that interest me are REBECCA HARVEY - times two - mother and
'spurious daughter'
born somewhere between 1804-07. I suspect that the mother, who was
Harwich-born in 1784,
went somewhere else to have her baby. So would be grateful if anyone notices
a reference to
mother and daughter with this name in an Essex baptismal register around
those dates.
Rebecca Harvey, the first, married William SIMS from St. Osyth in 1809.
He drowned in 1820 leaving her with 4 small sons - the youngest just 1 year
old.

The younger REBECCA in 1826 married a BENJAMIN CLARKE 'of Harwich' - but
I can find no birth registration for him. He was or became a nonconformist -
and their
children were baptised in the Wesleyan Chapel - ? at Manningtree in the
1830s.
He too drowned - probably in 1840 - again leaving 4 small children.
I would like to find a record of his birth - and his family connections -
which may not
be Harwich after all. I thought for one moment that he came from Mistley -
but am now
not sure. Benjamin is less usual - even if Clarkes are many. It needs luck
to discover
how he met his death. He was a fisherman. But of what kind ?

Regards Patricia

This thread: