ESSEX-UK-L Archives

Archiver > ESSEX-UK > 2005-07 > 1122578902

From: "Colleen" <>
Subject: Bombed out, then what?
Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2005 20:28:22 +0100

Having just looked at some pictures of the devastation caused by bomb damage
in Romford in WW2, its left me wondering what happened to those who were
bombed out of their homes and commercial premises in this way. I know people
tended to rally round and help each other, but that was obviously just a
short term solution. Were those householders who'd been bombed out given
priority on the housing waiting list? Did bombed houses tend to be quickly
rebuilt? Did the WI or some organisation like that keep a store of
furninture for such people? And what about those who lost their shops and
commercial premises, was there any insurance for them or was such damage
considered uninsurable, leaving them ruined without the means to earn a
living?

My mother and grandmother were trapped in the ruins of my grandparents'
house in Billet Road, Walthamstow after it was bombed. The house must have
been rebuilt later as there were no bombsites there that I can recall.

Colleen

This thread: