ESSEX-UK-L Archives

Archiver > ESSEX-UK > 2005-07 > 1121668837

From: "Fred" <>
Subject: RE: WILLIAM AND SOPHIA BUTLER
Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2005 07:40:37 +0100

Dear Anne,

According to Kelly's directory of Southend they were at that address in
1914. In 1935 only Mrs S.A.Butler, she was alone at 8, Westborough Road.
There was a William S. Butler at 116, Kensington Road, Southchurch. By
the 1948 issue Cyril J Butler was at 27, Cavendish Gardens, Westcliff,
which is about a mile from the old place (still there) and near
Westcliff High Schools. In the 1953 issue Cyril is at 21a, Preston Road,
which I take to be a flat near Westcliff Railway Station.

In some pre-Great War postcards the area was printed as Westcliffe, but
these days it is called Westcliff. There is a Westcliffe on Sea down in
Kent. A K. Chilvers is a member of the Essex Society for Family History.

Best wishes

Fred,
Editor,
The Essex Family Historian