ESSEX-UK-L Archives

Archiver > ESSEX-UK > 2005-06 > 1118672111

From: "La Greenall" <>
Subject: RE: [Ess] Of this parish
Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2005 15:15:11 +0100

An old, not uncommon custom, was simply to leave a full suitcase in a
rented room in the parish for three weeks prior to a wedding; this was
just about enough to qualify as being 'of the parish' without even
spending one night in it! The way round the system today is to spend a
few thousand dooblies on a false wedding.

Another aspect of 'being of the parish' touches upon the recent postings
on settlement examinations as well; once the parish authorities had
formally accepted someone from another parish into their own fold, as
usually decided in a settlement examination and formally recorded in a
settlement certificate, then that person became 'of this parish'. Of
course, there were at least as many 'removal orders' made, where the
'invading foreigner' was booted out! Sounds a bit like the EU, where
some of the more affluent member-countries don't like the old Eastern
Bloc countries signing up, for fear of their purses developing unwanted
leaks.

Though the term 'of this parish' obviously has strong historic or
ancestral overtones (settlement often depended on an inherited right for
example, such as one's parent(s) or spouse having come from the parish)
it was in fact specifically a legal term, and any ancestral inferences
might well prove to be unfounded.

Lawrence.