ESSEX-UK-L Archives

Archiver > ESSEX-UK > 2005-02 > 1107990852

From: Martin Willcocks <>
Subject: RE: Post Mortem
Date: Wed, 09 Feb 2005 16:14:12 -0700

Hi Peter:

Re the new Freedom of Information Act: How is the "Next of Kin"
formulated? If the person is a parent, any of the children should be
next of kin if both parents are dead, so I should be able to get
certificates for my parents. Am I next of kin to a sibling or a dead
uncle who had no children? Or to a dead great-uncle who died within the
last 100 years, and whose children I don't know about or know if there
are any? I have cases of all of these in my tree, so which records can
I see and which can I not see? Is there a website that explains just
who can and can't get certain records?

Example 1: A dead great-uncle who was a pharmacist in Datchet until he
retired in 1940. He had at least three children, known, some or all of
whom may be dead (b.. in 1890's, listed in 1901 census.) I have no
records of any of them getting married. Can I obtain his death cert?
His children's (there are probably more than I know about, post-1901)?

Example 2: An uncle who was b. August 1905 Northampton, and whose GRO
birth cert number is available, married 21 Aug 1926, had no children,
divorced, and died in 1946 in Switzerland. Ex-wife, older, also
deceased. Will the 100 year rule still apply in July 2005? Will I be
able to get a birth cert? Marriage? Divorce?

Example 3: One grandmother, d. Jan. 1953, the other also dead but
after 1905, I don't even have a death date and place but suspect
Porstmouth. Both my parents are long dead. Can I get death
certificates as next of kin to my grandparents?

I'll be spending some time at the FRC in July so no doubt will find out
the answers to these, but, forewarned is forearmed as they say!

Regards
Martin Willcocks
Taylorsville, UT, USA.

This thread: