ESSEX-UK-L Archives

Archiver > ESSEX-UK > 2005-01 > 1106416427

From: "colleen morrison" <>
Subject: Re: PARSONS - oldest photographic subject etc
Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2005 17:53:47 -0000

We're spoilt for choice for old photographic subjects here in Essex
(England). Mine is an old photo of an ancient burial mound and earth
workings found about 10 minutes walk from my cottage - near Churchgate
Street, Old Harlow. These are thousands of years old. Earth workings like
this, made by our ancestors scraping at the earth with primitive tools made
from bone, flint or deer antlers, are dotted all around our island and are,
I believe, the oldest human made structures we have.

I think the earliest photograph I have is one of Saint Peters church, Great
Totham in Essex in 1879, though this may have been a later reprint of an
earlier photographic plate. I have a photograph of one my ancestors which
may be older, but I can't confirm the date. Also have a few taken in the
1890s.

Most of the old photographs I have date from around 1900 to 1920, I suppose
because this was very much the golden age of early photography when everyone
who could afford it wanted to have their photograph taken and there was at
that time a great craze for sending and collecting picture postcards too.

Colleen