ESSEX-UK-L Archives

Archiver > ESSEX-UK > 2004-11 > 1100923438

From: "colleen morrison" <>
Subject: Re: Beer, trivia, etc. on a genealogy list?
Date: Sat, 20 Nov 2004 04:03:58 -0000

Dry facts and dates may be the be all and end all of research to a few
researchers who's main goal is to collect as many names and dates as
possible. However many of us - and I would say the majority - view our
family history as about much more than that. We want to put life into the
dusty skeletons we've found, get to know and understand our ancestors and
how they lived as far as we can.

So the majority of us are fascinated by the patchwork of minutia that made
up our ancestors' daily lives. We're delighted to find out where they lived,
what their homes and communities were like, what they earned and could buy
with their pay, what they ate and drank, what pubs, utensils and tools they
used, what they did with the very small amount of leisure time they had.
Discussion about such minutia is not only relevant, its vital to developing
our understanding of our ancestors. Our research is so much richer for such
details.

To those who feel such information is just a waste of search time, well
that's your loss - and our gain. I too am glad you're leaving, Bob, because
Essex listers are the most helpful and friendly people on any of the lists
and our list owner is the best on Rootsweb - and you have rudely insulted
all of us. I agree with Bob, Geoff and Elysia and others, your insulting and
childish rants are not welcome here.

Colleen