ESSEX-UK-L Archives

Archiver > ESSEX-UK > 2004-10 > 1099223720

From: Sheri <>
Subject: Re: Happy Halloween!!!
Date: Sun, 31 Oct 2004 03:55:20 -0800 (PST)

Hello Everyone,

Here is my spin on the question -- Hallween of course is
the shortening of the name "All Hallows Eve" and is the eve
of Nov. 1 which is All Saints Day. Of course our medieval
ancestors still carried with them some vestiges of earlier
pagan cultures and a fear of spirits, witches, and the
unknown. The earliest story concerning Halloween has to do
with Ichabod Crane and the Headless Horseman. It is in a
story called "The Legend of Sleepy Hollow" by Washington
Irving, an American author. He wrote it in 1819 based upon
the practices and beliefs of the Dutch colonists in New
York state. Trick or Treat began in the US probably around
125-150 years ago when children began to play pranks on
Hallween and go around offering to "Trick" someone if they
did not get a treat. I think that the custom migrated to
Europe somewhat recently as a result of our global
villageism and ease of communication. Here is a lovely link
which gives a good history
http://www.historychannel.com/exhibits/halloween/holiday_origins1.html

=====
Sheri