ESSEX-UK-L Archives

Archiver > ESSEX-UK > 2004-09 > 1096409505

From: "Irene R" <>
Subject: Re: The Irish/Spanish connection
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2004 08:11:45 +1000 (E. Australia Standard Time)

Hi Listers

I too am just butting in. I seem to remember during my school years being
told that the Black Irish were descendants of some of the Spanish sailors
etc. who survived the Spanish Armada war with Sir Francis Drake et al who
fled up the east coast of England and down the west coast of Ireland and
were shipwrecked there.

All of my recent McHenry/Rath/Nolan lines had rather nondescript brown hair,
hazel or grey eyes, but my mother's brother, Uncle Syd had very olive skin
and really black hair. Maybe he was a throwback to those days.

Regards

Irene R