ESSEX-UK-L Archives

Archiver > ESSEX-UK > 2004-08 > 1093465217

Subject: Re: No Response/Trying again ROBERTSON
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2004 16:20:31 EDT

writes:

GRO certificates and parish registers
all have a 100-year block on them, meaning that they are not availbale for
the public to browse or consult.

For England and Wales there is no block on viewing the indexes to the
registers; the GRO did originally only give approval to FreeBMD for the indexes up
to 1900 to be put online but this policy changed a couple of years back.

There is a (sort of) block on birth certs if you order in person at the FRC
but it is only about 50 years, and it is not a solid block. If you want a
certificate for someone born in the last 50 years you have to justify getting a
copy of the certificate. In my case I wanted to get a certificate for
someone who had been adopted some 45 years ago.

You have to show proof of identity and address and you have to present the
application form and an envelope addressed to the same place as your evidence.
The form is specially endorsed by the Reception/Help Desk staff who will
check your evidence and the envelope.

There is no similar restriction on ordering by post.

The aim of the FRC restriction (so far as I can surmise) is to stop people
applying for birth certificates for children who had died young and using them
to obtain passports and other sorts of 'legal' documents.

Scotland has a different system and you can download BMD entries direct from
the website.

DaveD

This thread: